Wednesday 31 October 2012

Cosy Granny or a Granny cosy

I was rather pleased with my first foray into granny-square-making.

(You may recall the white edged circle-squares from the tutorial here which I made into a cushion.)

 

So I decided to make some darker edged ones to make a wintry cushion.

("Why do you need a winter cushion?" was the Mister's response. Grrrrrrr! Honestly. Does he know nothing?!!

 

Anyhoo I was rather pleased with the grey border. Hmmmm a nice cushion this will indeed make.

Well that was the plan.

 

And then I started doing other things- you know how it is. And the little stack of grey-edged squares remained a disappointingly small affair.

 

 

 

And then I was struck by a new idea.

A better idea.

A quicker idea.

Much more my-kinda-idea:

 

A granny cup cosy.

 

 

I've made cup cosies before, but this was something different.

This was very simple.

I joined 3 squares together and then edged around the whole rectangle twice with some single crochet. To make it reach around to the handle I did a couple of extra rows of sc along the short edges. I then added buttons on one edge and made two chain stitch loops on the other edge.

 

 

And that, as they say, is that.

Perfect for Christmas pressies, methinks.

 

 

And now for something completely different:

A lovely bloggy gal's luncheon at the beach!

 

 

 

Starring the gorgeous Gem from Treasures from the Cherry Tree, the sensational Sarah from Shabby Chic Sarah, the adorable Ashley (accompanied by her little Rose) from Country Rose, and me (with my little Annaboo too).

What a fabulous time we had at the Sea Lane Cafe!!

Beautiful sunshine, scampi and chips to die for, great company, a good giggle and a catch-up. Oh, and Rose, entertaining us with her splashy wet antics!

We have already scheduled another meeting (can't wait!!) for a mammoth charity shop session and another luncheon.

Right, am off to whip up some more granny cosies for the shop...

Enjoy the rest of the week!

xxx

 

26 comments:

  1. So simple,so easy ...you have such great ideas.....and they look super fantastico :-) Thinking thinking thinking I just might make up a set for my daughter as a stocking filler....yes she still has her stocking at 40!
    Fun day .....I really think we should organise a World Crafter Bloggers' congress....gosh! that would be something. I'd love to meet my followers.

    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very crafty I like that. Very neat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cute cosy!! Thank you for sharing,
    xxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. really cute idea! great xmas present too, might have to add these to the to-do list for present making!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your granny cosy is gorgeous. A fab idea for gifts.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo I like! Great idea... and as you say... soooo much quicker than a cushion :) Now I just have one question... are you marrying a man who does't understand the need for cushions!!!? Ah it's okay... you can join the rest of us :) Hugs,x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh your cup cossies are really beautiful.. You know I like cup cossies and I had made cup cossies.. But yours are more and more beautiful... I will make cup cossies like your this time..:))
    Thank you very much...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! And I love that it doesn't go all the way to the top cos the thought of putting my lips on wool freaks me out when drinking tea!! I may have to blatantly cope!!! Hehehehe you have all the best ideas lol x

    Jo x x x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this! My next "something under the tree" for guests!

    Best,
    sheila

    ReplyDelete
  10. LoVe those mug cosies! The colours are gorgeous!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute, and I love the colors you used!! They'd make excellent Christmas gifts!
    Kate :}

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I LOVE these in the grey wool, and wrapped around a mug is just perfect. I've made the fabric cozies before, but this I will have to try. I think I have some stray orphan grannies laying around to experiment with. Great idea and so cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love are brilliant!!!! I love the granny coffee cozy, love the colors....well I love everything about them.
    So glad you had a grand time with all your blogging buddies.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, methinks so too! Those cuties will be going out to the peeps on my holiday list, definitely. Thanks for the idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea. And now I'm wondering if I can do something similar with medallion knitting! I must give it a try.

    Looks like fun was had by all on the beach :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. These granny squares make the CUTEST cozies ever! And you and your bloggy friends on your beach party luncheon are just about the CUTEST EVER also!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are so stinkin cute!!!!!!!!! LOVE them:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love those cosies,thankyou,I know what I'll be making everyone this year :) happy weekendXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just lovely. Wish I'd done this instead ofthe cushion arrrggghhhhh. Good luck with craft fair, you will do just fine. You are a Very talented lady.
    FAMFA x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your granny cozies are a cute idea. Would be great as gifts filled with all sorts of goodies. I will definitely be giving this a go for the upcoming holiday season. How fun to meet up with blogger pals. I have no doubt that ya'll had a fabulous time. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love it! What a brilliant idea - and you're right - the perfect pressie for that hard-to-buy-for person!! Any excuse to play with granny squares ay.

    Have a fabulous week hon.
    Leah
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Carry on Creating5 November 2012 at 15:05

    Just discovered your blog! I totally love this idea! It looks gorgeous! Love the flower buttons too! Nice finishing touch ;-) can't wait to read the rest of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great idea, I'm sure it will be well received at Christmas. You've given me the notion to get my crochet hook out again!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi again, long time no see. I have missed your corner of crochet heaven, and I have to say that your blog has come on leaps and bounds since it's humble beginning. I love your ideas and projects, and thank you for taking the time to write all the patterns and share them.
    I love the grey border,I used grey borders on that enormous king sized throw I did last year. Your work is fantastic- have a great weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a brilliant idea! They are so cute! Loved your cowl in the last post too! so cosy!
    Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Annaboo! These are so CUTE..I LOVE GRANNIES!
    I linked to this post from my blog..sharing is caring! lol

    http://asktracyann.crochethappy.com/2012/11/annaboos-house-cosy-granny-or-granny.html

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, so leave a comment or ask a question and l'll reply to you right here.
Have a fab day.
Sarah Xx