Friday 19 April 2013

Scottie Dog

 

It doesn't really need an introduction, but here's a little pattern to make a Scottie dog.

It's made in the same way as my Matryoshka (see here) worked in 2 identical flat pieces and single crocheted together.

It would make a cute keyring, a bold brooch, or just a plain old heartfelt (and handmade) gift.

You could also scent the stuffing with a few drops of your favourite essential oil / perfume, or instead fill with oats or rice etc.

 

 

You'll need:

Yarn and hook to match (I used Rico Creative Cotton and a 4mm hook)

Polyester toy filling

Essential oil if you fancy making yours smell nice

A pretty ribbon for the neck (mine measured 6mm wide)

Stitches and Abbreviations:

I use US terms, so single crochet= same as UK double crochet here.

Chain (ch)

Single crochet (sc)

Stitches (sts)

Single Crochet 2 Together (sc2tog)

 

To single crochet 2 together:

Insert hook into next stitch.

Yarn over, pull up a loop. (2 loops on hook)

Insert hook into next stitch.

Yarn over, pull up a loop (3 loops on hook)

Yarn over and pull through all 3 loops.

 

Pattern (make 2)

Ok, so this pattern works back and forards in rows.

Don' t count the slip stitches. They are blanks.

 

1. Ch 14 (=chain 13+ turning ch)

2. Turn, sl st, sl st, sc 10, 2sc in next st (12)

3-4. Ch1, turn, sc 10 (10)

5. Ch1, turn, sl st, sl st, sc 8 (8)

6-10. Ch1, turn, sc 8 (8)

11. Ch1, turn, 2scs in next st, sc 6, 2scs in next st (10)

12. Ch1, turn, 2scs in next st, sc 8, 2scs in next st (12)

13. Ch1, turn, sc 11, 2scs in next st (13)

14. Ch4, turn, sc 16 (starting in second chain from hook) (16)

15. Ch1, turn, sc 2

Fasten off (2nd leg made)

 

HEAD (make slip knot and put on hook)

16. Make sure your work is facing you with the beginning tail at the bottom left (starting in 9th stitch from top, and working from right to left, sc 8

17. Ch1, turn, sc2tog, sc 4, sc2tog (6)

18. Ch2, turn, sc 6 (starting in second chain from hook) (6)

19. Ch1, turn, sl st, sc 4, 2scs in next st (6)

20. Ch2, turn, sc 6 (starting in second chain from hook) (6)

21. Ch1, turn, Sc 6

Fasten off ends

 

 

Now use your third colour and single crochet around both pieces to join together. Make sure you work in anti-clockwise direction so your stitches face forwards. Before you completely close, stuff with toy stuffing, sew in the remaining ends and then complete your stitching and fasten off.

Attach a ribbon to the neck et voila!

Isn't that cute?!!!

Now, go.

Make many cute doggies and give them to all your friends .....

Xx

Xx

 

42 comments:

  1. here we go again another super nice to add to my list.

    Adorable :-)

    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So clever - I have just finished my second little Russian doll I have an idea what's next x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Scottie dog is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smack!!!! you are such a generous person!!!!
    I love Scotties a lot (but still matryoshkas are my fav!!)
    thank you, xxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smack!!!! you are such a generous person!!!!
    I love Scotties a lot (but still matryoshkas are my fav!!)
    thank you, xxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Scottie Dog pattern is ADORABLE! You are just so clever. My grandmother LOVED LOVED and I am LOVED Scottie dogs... she put them on everything - even our Christmas tree. I think I can now make a few in her honor because of your generosity. Thank you sooo much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are always coming up with the cutest patterns! Do you crochet in your sleep? LOL
    I LOVE the nesting doll and now the Scottie. Well done : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sooo cute! Thank you so much for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it. Really nice thanks for sharing !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love all your crochet tutorials. Thank you so much for sharing them....xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it. Couldn't resist to crochet my own little dog. Thank you very much.
    However, the head of my first version looks more like a rhino than a dog. I must have gotten something wrong. Are the numbers in () correct? Thanks for your advise.
    Regards, Bettina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bettina- yes there was an error on row 17.
      All corrected now.
      Xx

      Delete
  12. soooo cute!! thanks for the pattern!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is adorable, thanks so much! I'd love it if you'd join my international linky party, Craft schooling Sunday, and include the matryoshka doll too. I know my readers would love your crafts! hope to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How adorable, I'm new to crochet but am going to give this a go. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't wait to try this! I'm just drawing out a diagram (it always helps me) but I can only count 12 sts on row 2? Am I doing something wrong? :(

    Thanks, Amy xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is amazing. I LOVE Scottie Dogs. So cute! See you Thurs x x xx x x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it hon! Talk about adorable. Will most definitely be whipping up a few of these little cuties next time the children say they want a puppy!!

    Have a fab week.
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  18. That would make such a cute brooch for doggy-lovers! :-)
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  19. love love love....
    Bestest daisy....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday, great to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So cute thank you for sharing will enjoy making these cute pooches :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much for this gorgeous doggy pattern! I'm just making one now - should row 21 be Ch1, turn, rather than Ch2, 2 turn? Mine looks more like yours when I just Ch1, unless it's my bad crocheting! Many thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think ch1 looks better, although I have ch2 in my pattern book!!
      Thanks, rachel x

      Delete
  23. These are so cute!! I am going to have to follow the pattern and make a few of these :) I will add the pictures to my blog. Thanks for sharing such a lovely patern

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is sooooo adorable! So much so that I grabbed yarn and hook the same momemt I saw it and got started. I made a mommy and baby dog which I hope you will stop over at my blog and see. Thank you so much for the fun pattern!

    Hugs from Holland ~
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  25. ciao complimenti per il tuo blog e creazioni :) sandra italy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your so extremely talented you really are. I shall give this pattern a go but doubt mine will look as good as yours.
    Have seen your larger cushion size on Instagram and I love it! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a cute idea,like it ;0)
    Your blog is wonderful.
    I come back,greetings from gemany,
    Ulli

    ReplyDelete
  28. http://www.facebook.com/jamaicaytamarindo.juguetes

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you! This is great - my MIL has two Scottie pups she adores, and our Website usually gets a Scottie cut due to skin issues, so I've been on the lookout for a cute pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm thinking several scotties in various solid colors would make an adorable mobile hanging over a baby's crib. Very cute pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you for such a sweetie pattern - they are top of my Christmas making list! I've popped a picture of my cutie scottie on my blog - with a link to you and saying it is your marvellous pattern! Hope this is ok. Thank you for such a lovely blog and sharing such pretty things! Maggie x x
    http://magpieandbuttonhandmade.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/little-gift.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for this adorable pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I got it wrong three times before discovering that I was off a row starting with row 11, so that when I got to the row 14 ch4, it was on the leg instead of the ear. Of course this means the ear was coming out short as well. This will give the head the "rhino" effect mentioned above. If you're having trouble, make sure you have that ch4 on the top of the piece!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, so leave a comment or ask a question and l'll reply to you right here.
Have a fab day.
Sarah Xx