Friday 6 April 2012

Crochet-a-go-go!

I'm on crochet over-drive at the mo.

Crochet flower

First, I need new stock for the real-life shop; Easter's nearly done, so time to get ready for the summer (Jubilee-Olympics-tastic, methinks).
AND I have stupidly cleverly volunteered to have a crafty stall at the local Duck Race to raise money for the school. 
[Yes - a duck race! Imagine a gazillion yellow plastic ducks bobbing down the local stream with crowds of people cheering them on. Add a barbecue, some stalls and the usual fun and games and you've got a jolly day out.]
Anyhoo, I have tricked persuaded my clever, crafty neighbour to help out with making some of her lovelies for the stall too.
Oh, AND she has got me back repaid the compliment by booking us in for a stall at the local hospice for another fun day!      

Sooooooo, I've been making bucket-loads of little flowers to adorn many new things and thought I might share the pattern - It's nothing fancy, but is the result of much mucking around with yarn and hooks trying to get something which was quick to make and looked like a flowery thing.

For anyone who would like to try to make a flower, here is how I make mine:
I used: 
Rico Creative Cotton
Size 6mm hook
(If you want a smaller flower, then try a 4mm hook)

I also use US terms when writing patterns, but don't worry, it's easy to translate:
US Single Crochet = UK Double Crochet. 
US Double Crochet = UK Treble Crochet

First, make a magic ring and make 5 single crochets into it.
OR: Chain 2 and make 5 single crochets in the 2nd chain from the hook.
Slip stitch into the first sc

1. Chain 3 (counts as single crochet and chain 2)

Crochet flower

    *sc in next single crochet stitch, ch 2* around 4 more times
     Slip stitch into chain 1 of that first ch3 you made.
(you have just made 5 loops for the 5 petals to be made on)

Crochet flower

2. Slip stitch into the loop (chain2-space).
    Chain 2, 3dc, chain 2, slip stitch into same ch2-space.
(one petal made)

Crochet flower

   *sl st into next ch-sp, ch2, 3dc, ch2, sl st* in each ch2-space around to make the 5 petals.

You could finish here, if you want.
No? Want to add another row of petals? Read on..

Turn the flower over and take a look. See those 5 scs you made in round 1? 
You will be single crocheting around each of these and joining them with a chain of 3 stitches to make the next set of loops for the next set of petals.
T'is easy. You will work behind the petals you just made.

Crochet flower

3. Single crochet around the first sc from round 1.
   Ch 3
   Continue *sc, ch3* around. Sl st into first sc.
You have made 5 loops (ch3-spaces)

Crochet flower

Want to change colour? Snip yarn and pull through. Attach new colour to your hook using a slip-knot.

4.  *sl st, ch2, 5dc, ch2, sl st* into each ch-3space repeat around. 
(I usually tie the ends of the old and new yarns together after completing the first petal).

Crochet flower

Fasten off and weave in ends.

Crochet flower

Bingo!

Crochet flower

They really are very quick and easy to make. 
Try using chunky yarn and a big ol' hook to make mahoooosive flowers (great for brooches).
Want to add another row of petals? Repeat round 3, but chain 5 between each sc.
Then repeat row 4, but make 7 dcs, instead of 5.          

If you fancy a flower with more or less petals, then adjust the number of single crochets you make into the original magic ring or chain loop.

Oh, and I really should warn you, they're a leeeeeeetle bit addictive once you start.

Enjoy these Easter Weekend, all.
Xx    

26 comments:

  1. Ha ha.. your posts always make me giggle.. good luck with the stalls - what are the flowers going to be attached to? Sweet tutorial too...ooo I love making little flowers.. hugs, Jill x

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual, fabulous and I am in awe - I still cannot crochet anything looking halfway decent! Good luck with your stalls! Such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy are you going to busy!!! Thanks for the tutorial it is just perfect. Happy Weekend,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your little flowers, that yarn looks gorgeous but we don't have anything over here like that I believe. Thanks for sharing the pattern.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely flowers. Inspired by many wonderful bloggers like you, I am booked on a beginners crochet workshop in a couple of weeks time. I'm very excited! What are you going to attach the flowers to?
    Lorraine xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh! Such pretty little flowers! I am going to store your pattern away and, when I EVENTUALLY learn to crochet, I'm going to give them a whirl.....
    Have fun at the duck race.....
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tutorial ... I might just test my oh so beginner crochet skills on it. Thank you :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. These flowers are so cute and it's so nice of you to share the tutorial! I will certainly keep these in mind the next time I need some flowers!
    Good luck with all your crafty activities! I'd love to see a gazillion rubber ducks racing!! I bet it's hilariously adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful flowers!

    And thank you for your precious tutorial.
    Have a nice w-end!

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing a pattern for these! I am bookmarking them to use at a later date... something for my daughters's room I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely flowers, love the look of that RICO cotton, but it isn't in our LYS.

    You need to get on to som crocheted medals, Olympics stylie....I reckon with some red, blue and White ribbon looped round they'd go down a treat at the race.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've got another award for you over at k-town! And while you're there: maybe you'd like to link up all your beautiful spring crochet at my Easter/Spring link-party? I'd love to see you there, Happy Easter!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have some Rico just waiting for something like this! I'm thinking maybe some garland. Thanks for the great pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the flowers - so bright and summery! Rico creative cotton is one of my favourites for thins like this, I love the colours even though it is annoyingly splitty!
    Thanks for the tutorial - will give it a go. And good luck with the stalls - let us know how you get on.
    Have a lovely bank holiday weekend :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post! This is the first one of yours I've read - I love the cross outs. Found you from ravelry when I was searching how to do crochet flowers (as I'm a knitter lol). Your directions look easy to follow and THANK YOU for adding pictures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope you get loads made for the real life shop and the stalls :-) Duck racing sounds like a great sport!

    Love the double flowers, very colourful and pretty. Have a good Monday :-)

    love Lori xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are super cute! Thanks for sharing them, dear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you hon - I can't wait to try these little beauties! I am making tea cosies galore just now so might just have to load the next one with Annaboo flowers!!!

    Have a fab week.
    Leah
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is so weird that your post is about crocheted flowers, because I have had the sudden urge over the past few hours to make a load. I am very grateful for your flower pattern,and may give it a bash tomorrow.I love the pic by the way, and the cotton yarn is delightful. Have a groovy week.

    ReplyDelete
  20. wonderful pretty little flowers. Hope you sell loads and make lots of money from your efforts

    ReplyDelete
  21. Right that's it. I simply demand that you get Debs hooked on crochet so when we three meet again (in thunder, lightning or in rain) you can show me this crochet flower malarky in FULL details and no one will get bored. I really started off ok, reading this pattern, then drifted. That's me though, not cos you didn't write it well. Honest guv. Now, pizza and wine, did you get the dates and sort it with Debs? I am GAGGING! x x x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great tutorial, thanks. Beauuuuutiful flowers, may have to have a try but promise I won't turn into a troll if I don't understand something. X

    ReplyDelete
  23. what a lovely boquet those would make.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for this simple yet good looking pattern. I finally ended up creating a flower which actually looks like one! Yay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for the pattern and great tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi! I adore your colorful flowers! The tutorial is perfect! Thank you!
    Olga ☼

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, so leave a comment or ask a question and l'll reply to you right here.
Have a fab day.
Sarah Xx