Sunday, 17 February 2013

The one where she learns to knit ...

I still consider myself relatively new to the whole world of yarn. I taught myself to crochet just over 2 years ago and I am still learning.

 


 
And I love it, I really do.

But I felt the urge to learn something new. A challenge. Something to keep the ol' cerebral pistons and cogs turning and stop the rust from taking hold. Feeling reassured by the whole adventures-in-yarn so far, I decided knitting would be the way to go.

 

Knitting?

I recall that childhood memory of squeaky yarn on needles and triangle-shaped pieces of 'knitting', no matter how hard I tried to make rectangles.

But I had been reassured by the well-lush ShabbyChicSarah (on our recent Instagrannies knit-and-stitch meet-up) that I would, indeed be able to knit. Sarah told me matter-of-fact that not only would I be able to knit, but that I would love it.

Game on, I thought.

And so, armed with some freebie needles (thanks to the also well-lush County Rose) and a book (see below) I began my knitty journey:

Lesson 1: Casting on

 

Hey, I can do it!

 

Lesson 2: Making the knit stitch

 

 

Oh, blinkin' 'eck! MAJOR disaster.

This is actually terrible. I felt a terrible sense of doom and disappointment.

(Naturally I blamed the glass(es) of wine which accompanied me on this lesson.)

 

Lesson 3: Try again with bigger needles, chunkier yarn and TEA, not wine.

 

 

Ahhh, a bit more successfull and I have something which actually resembles knitting.

 

A bit more and I'm trying the purl stitch too.

 

 

 

Buoyed by my new-found yarn-confidence, I try this:

 

 

And this:

 

And this:

 

And I feel genuinely chuffed with my efforts.

I don't really know what to make for real yet; I'm searching out Ravelry and Pinterest for something very easy to get me started (any suggestions gladly appreciated) but I'm really pleased that I've tried.

It may come to nothing and I may decide that it's not really for me, but who knows, eh?

 

Have a great week!

Xx

PS the book I learned to crochet with was this:

'Stitch and Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker' by Debbie Stoller:

 

 

And for knitting:

'Stitch and Bitch: The Knitter's Handbook' also by Debbie Stoller

 

 

I would recommend them both! And I bought them from Amazon.

X