Wednesday, 18 May 2011

Nan's old sewing machine

I've been thinking for a while now about several sewing-project-y things I'd like to do and so decided today that I should get out nan's old sewing machine to see if the old gal still works (the machine, not Nan- she's working fine).

It's a 1970s Frister Rossman Cub 7:

Frister Rossman cub 7

Egad! The thing weighs a tonne. The last time I used it was yeeeeears ago, before Number 1 was born, and while we were still living in our old house. Even then, I only managed to make some very easy cushions and curtains.

Frister Rossman cub 7

The original manual was still in the box and I managed to thread it up.

Frister Rossman cub 7

I'd forgotten how many different stitches this baby could do - I think it must be quite a good model. Anyhoo, I gave it a little test run and it hummed along smoothly. What to do next? Well the manual inspired me to try out appliqué. For the first time, I might add.

Appliqué

Love the model in the photo. So I cut out a little heart (some old Ikea fabric, I think)...

Little appliqué heart

Pinned it...

Little appliqué heart

Appliqued it (not perfect, but not too bad, I thought)...

Little appliqué heart

And made it into a little stuffed heart.
Next time i'll add a hanging loop and actually draw a template so I get a better shape, but I'm really pleased with how well the sewing machine works.
Lots more projects to come, I think. Bunting next ...