Friday 24 June 2011

Dolly, done. (ish..:)

Well, this doll has taken quite a while to get to this stage (for no other reason than I became distracted by other little projects). But I'm so glad she's reached this point.

Doll and print

So, she is a variation of Beth's beautiful Fairy Spirit at By Hook By Hand. Do visit her site, she makes the most beautiful dolls and clothes.

I really enjoyed making her- I used cheap and cheerful acrylic dk yarn and a 4mm hook. She is an amigurumi, so is crocheted in the round in single crochet (easy-peasy!) A clever trick from Beth is to use a 12mm safety eye for the neck joint, so no sewing- brilliant!

Crochet doll head

And has pipe-cleaners in her arms and legs, so fully pose-able. It's such a clever pattern. Thanks, Beth!

Doll and print

My next job is to make her a wig using Mohair! Luckily I have a stash from a previous charity shop raid. Even more lucky is a brilliant tutorial from Beth on her website and Flickr stream.

Anyhoo, will keep you posted with how I get on!

I've also been messing around with a little crafty project using wooden blocks, tissue paper and printing inks. The idea is to make gifts for friends.

Look at these lovely coloured inks 'on loan' from my mum: (I take that to mean 'given to me'- ha ha!)

Doll and print

Doll and print

Doll and print

I am totally inspired by all the clever peeps that do these beautiful printed blocks. Do check out Fee's blog at Chipper Nelly for the real deal- her's are proper-awesome.


Happy weekend, all. Xx

16 comments:

  1. i love your little crochet friends! i'm excited to see her wig! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, cute little dolly. I'm most intrigued at the wooden blocks. Going over to check it out.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your doll has turned out brilliant, Anna! Can't wait to see her in her mohair wig (my favorite part of dollmaking).

    Beth from ByHookByHand

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this dolly even as she /he is now. By the way Chipper Nelly = Awesome xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those wooden blocks look great - what a good idea! Love the doll too - can't wait to see her with hair!
    Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the wooden blocks, what a great idea, off to see if I can find out more...

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you! sharing the love - the stuff good blogs are made of!
    fee x
    (happy weekend my friend)
    (love that doll..)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that little doll so much, she is adorable, what fun you will have dressing her up. And the blocks are a great idea. Have a wonderful weekend,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an adorable doll- please can I have one? You are so good at crocheting. I adore those ink pads, I would really like a nice selection of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awwww love that cutie doll. Still haven't been able to try amigurumi yet. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. love your doll - I haven't crocheted any amigurumi for AGES...unfortunatly my boys are getting past the stage of appreciating anything cute I make for them...can't wait to see her with hair!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are v talented. Love your doll.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, everyone for your supportive comments.
    I am really enjoying being crafty and creative!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh she is adorable! i love her so x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that doll! She's got so much personality already. Just, aw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looking forward to seeing the finished doll!!

    Love the blocks - did you cut the wood yourself or buy them from somewhere?

    BTW - you've got an award over at my place today - http://shabbychicsarah.blogspot.com

    S x

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, so leave a comment or ask a question and l'll reply to you right here.
Have a fab day.
Sarah Xx