Number 1 son can eat Peanut butter in vast quantities, so I've always got empty jam jars hanging around the recycling bin. I have used them in summers past to hold tea lights in the garden whenever we had evening parties; they always look pretty, especially when hung from tree branches, or strewn around the edges of the path.
However, since learning to crochet, I thought I could juuussssh them up a little more:
I used some yarn from my stash (2-ply? from knitting machine cones I picked up in charity shops) and a size 2.5mm hook.
I used a mixture of double and treble crochet (I use the US terms) in the round until I reached the desired size to cover the bottom and then proceeded with a bit of V stitch around the sides and some double crochet around the top.
'Not bad', I thought to meself, but I wanted something a bit more lacy in texture. Luckily a library book provided the inspiration for me to try the Solomon's knot:
(Sorry about the rubbish photos, but have just finished this and wanted to post it!)
Here's the bottom: (not quite perfect)
Am liking the flowery-star pattern.
Here's a side view with picot edging. (Only learned this stitch this evening, so quite pleased)
Love the idea of up-cycling, so my next project will involve tin cans.
Will finish disembodied dolly soon.